Friday, April 4, 2008

Going Green: Product Review of the Week - Glass Cleaners and All-purpose Cleaners



Glass Cleaners

For a long time I used Cinch until I got allergic to the strong smell. Seventh Generation seems to have good prices in general so I tried their glass cleaner (the one that is free of smell) and it works great. It cleans well, it leaves the glass shiny although you have to be a little harder if planning to use for outdoor windows for example. It seems that the green/natural glass cleaners are cheaper than the conventional ones so it does not hurt to try them out. However, the best glass cleaner I ever used was one that my mother thought me to make it from some water and vinegar. For cleaning the windows I do this and I use newspaper instead of paper towels and they look so shiny.


Natural/Green
$/ounce
Conventional glass cleaners
$/ounce
Clorox Greenworks
0.11
Cinch
0.32
Bi-O-Kleen
0.14
Windex
0.17
7th Generation 0.12
Colgate Palmolive Ajax
0.20
Earth Friendly0.14

Organic0.19


All-purpose Cleaners

I used Swiffer, but again the strong smell it made me sick; when I switched to Seventh Generation Free & Clear I knew that I will never go back on using the conventional ones. The price difference from green all-purpose cleaners and conventional ones is a little in favor to the conventional products; but thinking at all the benefits to our health and our environment by using green products it is worth and in the end the low prices of some products will compensate for the others that have higher prices. The Seventh Generation works well on everything and is easy to use.


Natural/Green
$/ounce
Conventional all-purpose cleaners
$/ounce
7th Generation Free & Clear
0.12
Formula 409
0.09
Bi-O-Kleen
0.14
Swiffer Wetjet
0.11
Earth Friendly
0.14
Mr. Clean
0.10
Organic0.19Lysol 0.09
Clorox Greenworks 0.14Fantastik 0.10

1 comment:

Cristina Foung said...

Hello there! I thought you might be interested in a site I've been working on: Green Home Huddle. It'd be great if you wanted to add your reviews! It'll certainly help you reach a different audience and get your advice out to a few more folks.